2003/06/30

Today, at the joint meeting with CHT, the largest carrier in Taiwan, I witness the leverage of Mr. Chu, a professor who I knew in NTU, he called me last week to set up meeting with CHT and told me there's a chance to team up with CHT in the development map for MOD -- multimedia on demand, in the sector of GOD -- game on demand; I thought he mentioned this idea with CHT already, so, I bought one dept. manger to join the CHT meeting together, actually, we are familiar with CHT -- especially the MOD sector chief Mrs. Yang, and talk about possible corporation for quite a few time. but this is the first time Mr. Chu met Mrs. Yang, and right after we met each other , I noticed that Mrs. Yang didn't know why we are here and have no idea what subject we are gonna discuss, I feel strange about this call, but keep silence and carefully listen to Mr. Chu's pitch, follows are my conclusion:

1. he mentioned couple of times about the National Development Fund he is managed to invest on initiatives which will benefit the Digital Content Business in Taiwan.
2. he try to build a ground between CHT and us before go after the content owner -- game licensee for the potential business model.
3. he is too loose on concentrating focal point -- the role each party plan and how to build consensus among parties involved, but talk too much on this and that.
4. no result or concept established after he present this idea, to be honest, even I followed every word he said, I didn't know what's his point?
5. he quote few of my private comments with him before and use them publicly as his standing points, it embarrassed me.

To leverage each party and set up meeting is fine, but a pre-distribute agenda and goal setting for the meeting is essential to any meeting. I don't know what's next and what will follow. I am lucky didn't bring my Japanese colleague with me, otherwise, he will confused about why joint the meeting and why wasting our time on this matter.