2004/01/04

Last week, COO take leave and went back to Japan with his family, I was taking his responsibility then, in order to set a better model, I recorded things which I thought important and make it a diary on one file , the file send over on Friday evening, the past week for me is fruitful, and I am no longer the " Hand on " manager in the company, during his absence, I am officially review and check every detail I want to check; when sign of purchase / expense report from all the dept, I found 3 abnormal report and request the applicant to double check again, one was found miss-filing the expense and over-charge for 25% of the amount; one is the code of conduct issue, as the purchase is up to 14 millions, the dept. who submit it should not be the dept. who approve the usage, even though some tech equipment is very hard for other people to check the functionality, but I am requesting the users ( not the applicant ) to send me the " usage report ", I want to be sure the equipment we purchase is 100% perfect without any major defeat; been through this, I know our company do exist room to improve in the area of administration and auditing, if saving can be done properly, we may reach break even sooner.

Visit Mr. Han on Friday morning, he is 73 years old now, when seeing him, l learned that walking is difficult for him now, even with the stick, he need somebody's shoulder as the other stick to keep the balance; Mr. Han is my mentor, my first employer and a banker who win a lot respect in his are of profession, he recruited me 15 years ago when I unlisted from the army, I join his company -- Himalaya, as that time the licenses of CBS records, I remembered when I went for the final interview, he asked me one question : at your age, back ground, normally we will pay 18,000 as the salary, why you request for 2,000 more ? my reply instantly was : as Himalaya is the licenses of CBS, it respect intelligent property, and so do I, I believe my intelligent will be pay off when recruited ", so I was hired and gain 2,000 more than the rest of the people. actually, he is not the man mange the record company, but we do talk from time to time, the second encounter is 6 years after the Himalaya days -- I left 4 years after and run my own management firm for new talent development, we -- our new family had a lunch in one cafeteria, at the time -- 2 years after I established my own business, I hit some trouble and soon will be jobless, when he asked how's thing going at the accidental occasion, I told him the truth that I am shopping for new job, Mr. Han kindly asking me return to Himalay, but station in the Bank area, doing research and survey for the music industry for 6 months with the same wage level I had with the company, the 6 months, I only report my finding to him once a month, then he told me there's a possible Joint Venture between Himalaya and Sony Music, Clearance Kwang -- a new GM he recruited will in charge of this project, and I shall interview with him and if everything goes well, we may build the team upon then; working with CK is rapport, he take over the management role from prior Himalaya Record, merge Coden record, but the JV project wasn't realized, I think Mr. Han is very disappointed, Pat Hurley, the SVP of Sony Music Asia give him some hardship -- according to Mr. Han, the determination notice was the " Gift " from Pat in one Christmas dinner, this make him remember clear and vivid; I left Himalaya after CK resign from the company and we see no hope for the JP, it stand for no hope for true and professional manager -- cause the licensor will soon come and take the market by themselves.

Pat called after I resign and asked if I am interested in the label Sony Music still, yes was my answer, he flew all the way from New York and introduce me a young talent -- M. Allison, we had a dinner in one of the best Chinese Restaurant -- Fu Yuang -- 10 years ago, my first visit to the gouges restaurant. Pat introduce me to the young man who I soon recognize will be the new MD for Taiwan operation, he subtly touch if I am interested in helping them set up the temp office in Taipei as the regional head quarter is located in Singapore, as I am running my own company, so, no problem, when Sony Music Asia office official launched in Singapore, I was invited and after the ceremony, Pat send me in his office and offer me 2 job in the company -- marketing manager in Asia or helping Matthew set up Taiwan operation, I took the second offer and quite sure this is what they expected me to do. so, together ( me and Matthew ), we need to talk to Mr. Han about the termination follow up including collecting all the Himalaya product from the market in 3 months ( 3 months for house keeping ), this is a very tough mission for us -- me especial, so Matthew took almost all the discussion role in order to protect me, Mr. Han didn't perform any bad behavior to us, a gentleman always, when know I am going to work in Sony Music Taiwan, we had a conversation , the advise clear to me as fresh as yesterday : Don't Loose Chinese Face ", the he withdraw almost most of his investment in music business and focusing on his good at -- financial / banking / investment. ( unfinished )