2004/08/11

So you wanna be a Rocking Roll Star ? I invited artist Liu for a coffee yesterday afternoon, we met accidentally at Steve Vai's concert, he came to me and send his warm regards to me, so, I kindly arrange this afternoon coffee at Starbucks; he is very talented, won one golden melody awards for " Best Album of the Year ", a violinist / composer / producer, a combination of talent; Liu is hunger for a new form of artistic expression and dream of a great something in the art / media / entertainment arena; we cross each other in a pub a few years ago, the pub is a " Performing house ", he was the program dirictor there who handle and orgained varies of performance in the pub, as the range of performing is wide, I can see how he tried to promo performing art in differert perspective; we had a conversation then, and he come to our office and we release his second albume under Sony Music.

I received his new work 2 years ago, that's a great ambition, a booklet with 2 demo disc consist of songs / music he composed at that time, he was pitching for another breakthrough, an animated book illustrate his mind and ideas which were obstracted, it's hard for people in the executive seats to understand the intention of him -- even in a record company; when receiving this package, I only take a listen but didn't response to him, since I not no longer with the record industy, so, I didn't provide my comments to him; after 2 years of silence, we met at the concert and he is excited to see me.

the coffee is a clinic to him, I am honest and straight foreword; he explained his musical plan in mind and how he tried to achieved by his next project, I aksed him any response from the demo package he send last time, that was a disappointment to him, then I asked if he willing to have his composition be presented / performed by other artists, he have no objection but told me there's no door to knock and no window opened for him; I told him to keep even a slim tie with the industry is quiet important as he grow old, the chance to be an artist is getting harder.

I think Liu raise his courage asked me about the alternative way of presenting him and the music he carries, a tie up with hardware / cotent he produced and introduing the mix meida via our channle ? I honestly told him, this is step 2, step 1 will be get in the industry, be reconiged as a great talent and then been chasing by other industry, the first try is difficult but he have to do it by himself, all the hardware company will only accept character with reputation / popularity to present their product, what they want is the enhancment, and the most important thing for the artist is to check the performace result by it's channel -- from the physical product sold ( collect and appreciation of your music ) , the concert tickets sold ( enjoy and participating on the experience ), the endosement variety ( the influence you build and may expend ), the media reactions ( how large, how offent they want you to be there with their target audience ), no artist can escape from this checking point. there's noe short-cut to the Super stardam.

I am not sure if I hurt his feeling, but I do grand my help and inform him what I can do:
1. try to locate the record executives once he revise the demo package to a satisfactory status and set a clear goal.
2. help on the cyber world if the release of new album is realized.

I have no time to provide more fake story, it's unfair for both of us, he is a talent, but talent didn't always get what they want.

0 Comments:

張貼留言

<< Home