2003/08/12

2nd generation product didn't disappoint me, with high expectations, I bring 2 of my colleague to the off-Broadway show " Wedding Banquet " this evening, the musical was adapted by An Lee's famous Chinese movie and the script was re-written by -- I don't know who, but the repertoire said it's inspired by Welly, the young talent Asian American who establish this non-organization company - second generation production; the story is controversial, it deals with homosexual, east and west, young and elder's difference in value and so on, Weng - Tong - acting by Welly and Simon -- his lover are 2 shining star on stage, the dance routine and melodic music attract most of the audience, 2 scenes caught me in the mood -- the bus tour and the Tai-Chi dance, one is the mix culture and a miniature representing the colorful New York, the other is the ancient Chinese / oriental mystery representing the " When west meet east " dramatic encounter.

a 3 hours musical, no one didn't pay attention to the stage and touch by the story, gay love wasn't easy for Taiwanese to accept, but most of the audience don't feel uncomfortable evening seeing 2 man kissing on the stage -- yes, I did look around and observe the audience.

Of course, there are room to improve, such as : the music porting can be stronger, more instruments and more player to make the song richer, the group dancing team can be bigger, if they put 10 more to do the group dancing and singing, The Broadway effect will influence audience more, third is the setting, maybe it's stage or budget constrain which make the setting a little too simple, if there's some constrain, then lighting can make up for it, but , the lighting design is simple as well, if the above mentioned object can be improved, the result can be better, since this is a pilot show or world premium, so shall be more to revise and polished, they can even replace some of the actor / actress if they want.

If I were a investing banker, I will bet on this number cause I do see the potential to bring this musical to " Broadway " and to run it for years. as the cross-culture , cross-racial and cross-sex issue always generate dramatic story and this is an above standard performance, more resource injection will bring better performance,.

I am glad that Shelly, Jay, and Perry join me to the musical and Jay make believe that I am absolutely right, and this is really beyond his expectation. I am happy that people appreciate art and performing day by day.