2003/09/23

I delivered a very strong message to our product manager during our weekly managers' meeting this morning, we had such a managers' meeting for 2 years, everyone attend the meeting knows that the update status and to do is essential to our progress improvement, he failed to delivered all his " Ok " on last week's meeting follow up; all the manger shall equipped at lease 2 major skill , one is on his or her field of expertise, the other is the general administrative function, I haven’t burst out angry for a long time, but I am serious about this unpleasant situation this morning, if a man can't keep his promise / commitment in, then don't expect them to deliver the outstanding results.

After the quick lunch, I rush to the e21Forum held at TICC, I am expecting to hear some wisdom or innovative speech, but I was wrong, it's like a promotion for 2 brand - Intel and Texas Instrument, I am disappointed to say that even the top tier executive can't really provide a speech with insights and inspiration; 2 accidental things happen at the venue, one MBA student sit beside me, we had a little chat, my advise to him is don't simplify the life in army, it sometimes will give you new aspect to your life, the Steven approach me and say Hi -- my EMBA Classmate who told me he just resigned from one of the top PC company, we chat for a few minutes, when I walked out the venue earlier and found him is leaving, I catch him and invited him for a coffee, then he told me why is leaving and the struggle he's been facing for the last 2 years, I didn't provide much of my experience but to act as a mirror to him, we spend like 50 minutes and I really hope what we shared can mean something to him.

Dinner with another ISP is an interesting encounter, at the dinner hosted by them, the general manager raised an idea of merge our two company and complimentary win the market and become the absolute No. 2 in the market; it reflect on earlier this morning, when I recall the kick-off meeting document and present the message and visions to all the managers' again, we realized half of our goals been achieved, we are the players in the broadband ISP realm, this is the main reason why this company re-establish the dialogue with me and propose such an aggressive idea; if this is only in operation level, we may achieved some, if this is an fundamental change of tow entity, then I don't think it will work, but during the dinner, we learned what is " Port wine " and understand the best year for red wine is year 2000; Tenpenyaki is delicious, they are interesting, we had a good night.